VBCi promotes strengthening of communities to harness their assets for common good in a sustainable manner, that retains indigenous knowledge and value system ensuring social and economic justice.
Vision Statement: All communities have assets, resources, knowledge, expertise and power within to build healthy communities.
- To stimulate asset-based citizens led development, promoting a shift to local economies from deficits to assets
- To promote communities abilities to mobilize for change, economic and sustainable development;
- To be flexible and responsive to individual communities’ culture and diversity, promoting indigenous knowledge, value system and peaceful co-existence
Underlying Frames and Assumptions:
- Empowered communities and women in particular are capable to develop self-sustaining local economies
- Young persons have the capacity to contribute to development and economic sustainability of their communities
- Communities have assets and resources that can be mobilized to enhance livelihood as well as promote sustainable development
Key Areas of Work
- Promoting local economies, improving livelihood and Sustainable development of local communities
- Promoting indigenous knowledge and value systems
- Support women organize, establish and run effective cooperatives
- Community based conflict transformation and peace building
- Build and strengthen the capacity of the youth as trans-formative leaders within their communities
Guiding Principle: Community well-being is dependent on the capacity of communities to harness social and economic justice.